Screensteps is a great little idea for making fast software tutorials using screenshots. It is for both Windows and Mac.
Here is their product demo video.
- Quick copy & paste - No swithching back and forth between the application and the program you're using to write the tutorial.
- Easy Formatting - Screensteps picks two standard formats for you to use for your tutorial
- Easy Export - Very easily export to .pdf or html.
- Nontechnical people can definitely use this
- No drage & drop to re-order the screenshots once you've taken them
- Needs automatic step numbering. I'd love to see it fill in "Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, etc," or at least have that option
- Quick screenshot re-sizing. Each shot may need to be a different size depending on its relevance, quick resizing and cropping would help solve this.
- Quick highlighting. Sometimes you want to bring the users attention to focus on a specific item within the screenshot. The ability to add some sort of arrows or highlighted boxes would really help.
- Make this a web based app with the ability to share, and you have a really quick way to build a graphic tutorial knowledge base for a small company!
Overall a really good idea, and a very simple execution. I think the fact that it did a few things very well helped me create my tutorials faster, and left me asking for a few more features. Hopefully I'll get time to post a sample tutorial.